Resolving the recent update issues with McAfee Consumer Products
This document explains how to update McAfee Consumer products using the McAfee Virtual Technician.
This document explains how to address issues related to recent updates deployed by McAfee. To resolve issues such as interrupted Internet access, problems with updating and more, you must run the McAfee Virtual Technician, which will scan your system to diagnose and repair your McAfee installation.
If running this tool does not resolve your issues, please follow the steps in Solution 2 below to run the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR2.exe), and then reinstall your McAfee products.
Note: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.
Download and run the McAfee Virtual Technician
- To download the McAfee Virtual Technician, go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/mvtapp.exe
- If you receive a "File download security warning", click Yes.
- Click Open to launch McAfee Virtual Technician.
Note: On some browsers, you must click Run.
- In some cases, you may be prevented from restarting your computer because an installation is in progress. Please remember to restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Use this solution if the Solution 1 did not solve the issues with your McAfee Consumer product.
Download and run the McAfee Removal tool
- To download the removal tool, go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe
- If you receive a security alert, click Yes.
- Click Save to download the file to a location on your computer.
- Navigate to the location where the file was saved.
- Ensure all McAfee application windows are closed.
- Double-click MCPR2.exe to run the removal tool.
Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as Administrator.
- Restart your computer when prompted. Your McAfee products will not be fully removed until you restart.
All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.
Reinstall your McAfee Products
If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and log in to download your McAfee products.
If you received your McAfee products from your service provider, please use the list below to download your software.
DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.
Gateway users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=370 and log in to download your software.
eMachines users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=365 and log in to download your software.
MSN users should go to https://membercenter.msn.com/features.aspx?pa=MC_ART_Antivirus and log in to download your software.
AOL users should go to http://safety.aol.com and log in to download your software.
If you continue to experience issues after following the instructions above, please go to http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1 for additional support.